Apple is never one for putting out more than is needed. They seem to have the same thought with names. Apple has unveiled a new app specifically for podcasts, called Podcasts. The creatively named app is available for both iPhone and iPad. Apple says it is a better way to organize and discover podcast on your iDevice but it falls a little short. The design UI and controls are in sync but when compared to Downcast, Podcast just does not hold up.
Podcasts app is the easiest way to discover, subscribe to and play your favorite podcasts on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Explore hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts from the Podcasts Catalog, and play the most popular podcasts, organized for you by topic, with the all-new Top Stations feature.
• Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app
• Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages
• Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
• Browse by Audio or Video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts
• Tap subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available
• Stream episodes or download to listen while offline
• Skip forward and back using simple playback controls
• Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed
• Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages and Mail
• Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC
• Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices
• Requires a device with iOS 5.1 or later
• Optionally syncing episodes requires iTunes 10.6.3 or later
• Streaming or downloading episodes requires internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection
Pro: This is a clean easy to use unapologetic simplistic Podcast app. It is free to use.
Con: The app works but it could have been designed just a little bit nicer. The load times needed to be faster. Even over wifi the speed at which podcast downloaded was not acceptable.
Aye/Nay: This is a Aye. This program is simple to use and although it does not come close to the loveliness that is Downcast, Podcast is free. $0 is worth it.
iTunes Link: Podcasts