Apple Watch cannot work without the iPhone. Oh so you thought. While that is sort of true, it is not completely true. The Apple Watch does not have to be paired with an iPhone in order to get some things done. You can still track your workouts, play music stored on it or even use Apple Pay.
How does Apple Watch work without an iPhone? Interestingly enough the Apple Watch can connect to known Wi-Fi networks all on its own. If your iPhone has ever been connected to a specific Wi-Fi network, your Apple Watch can too. However this will be a limited web access.
Things you can do:
- Apple Watch can send and receive messages. However, only iMessages seem to work and no phone calls.
- Send and receive sketches and Digital Touches
- Create reminders reminders directly from your Apple Watch but the reminder won’t be pushed to iCloud until your Apple Watch is paired with your iPhone again.
- Create calendar events that are stored locally. Just like reminders these events won’t be pushed to iCloud until you pair iPhone.
- Use Siri to answer to questions that are simple. Hard questions that the Apple Watch can not answer it will ask you to hand off to the iphone. Here are a list of a few things you can ask your Apple Watch without a need of an iPhone.
- What’s 20 miles in kilometers?
- What time is it in Sydney?
- What is the capital of Uzbekistan?
- How may people live in San Diego?
- When was Michael Jordan born?
- What’s the definition of “hypotenuse?”
- Is it going to rain tomorrow?
- What’s the weather like in Sydney?
- When will the sunset in New York be?
- What movies are playing tonight?
- Who plays in Mad Max: Fury Road?
- What movie won an Oscar last year?
- Did the Bulls win?
- When is the next Clippers game?
- What channel is the Cavs game on?
- What’s the Apple stock price?
- How is the Nasdaq today?