I got into a conversation today, with my sister-in-law about astrology, which made me wonder how accurate our astrological signs really are. Before I get started, I want to say that I don’t read my horoscope, other than for fun some times. Overall, I am not necessarily a believer, but I do find the idea of astrology to be quite interesting. My family varies in terms of astrological signs – two Capricorns, two Pisces, one Aquarius, one Leo and one Virgo. I’ve never been the type of person to be able to be able to tell someone’s sign based on their personality, but I do find this theory an interesting one.
I am a Leo. I was born under the sun sign. My grandmother was also a Leo, and took great pride in the fact that I was so much like her. And maybe I was growing up, but I don’t necessarily see those traits in myself any more. A fiery child full of tenacity. Maybe that fire is still there, but it doesn’t burn as bright. I looked up some traits of a Lioness, and maybe it does sum me up more than I’d like to admit. As for positive traits, they include:
- Kind. I have been told that I am a bit of a “softie” at times, or that I wear my heart on my sleeve. I’m not sure I see it this way, but I don’t want to argue the fact that I’m not kind. Haha. It’s what everyone wants to be known as, right?
- Energetic. Ok, so this one might not be completely accurate right now, but I think that has to do with life. I’m not sure how you can measure someone’s energy across the board.
- Optimistic. Haha. I don’t mean to laugh, but this doesn’t describe me at all. I would love to think of myself this way, but I’m not sure that I can. (The nature of this sentence alone shows that I tend towards pessimism)
- Straightforward. This is spot on. I definitely don’t like to beat around the bush. This trait in me can make me com across callus and cold. Like I lack feeling. Which isn’t the case. I tend to stick to the facts when addressing an issue. And,
- Loyalty. I do think that I am extremely loyal. Maybe to a fault.
As for the negative traits, they include:
- Headstrong. Maybe too much… and too often.
- Possessive. I’ve never considered myself possessive, but I guess I’ve never put a lot of thought into it. Do I have a hard time sharing? Hard to say. I guess I can get possessive in a relationship, in that I don’t want someone else flirting with my man. But is that really possessive? I’d say that its more jealousy than possessiveness, but either way, not a good trait to have.
- Impatient. I definitely could use a lesson or two in patience. I’m getting better, but when I want something, I tend to want it right away and I don’t like to wait.
I’m not sure that all these traits are specific to being a Leo, but I can see how many apply to me. Other interesting characteristics include: unleashing the fury if you take advantage of them, going the extra mile to achieve a goal, natural born leader, loves to connect with others and needing a lot of attention. You can always count on a Leo to come through for you. Leo’s are confident on the outside, but extremely sensitive on the inside and fun to be around. Let me stop there as I think this last paragraph gives you a better view into who I am than the previous two lists.
While I’m not sure that I am a “true” Leo, I do enjoy thinking about myself in these terms as a way to help me learn more about myself. How close are you to the characteristics of your astrological sign? I would urge you to have a look and figure out how accurate it is. I know that I can be headstrong, and I know that I can be impatient. But I also know that I am a fun loving, loyal person who you can always count on to come through for you. And maybe that makes up for the negative traits.