The app Book Creator for iPad comes highly recommend by our readers. So we thought it would be a good idea to get a hold of the developer for a little 1 on 1. For those that have not heard about this great app; 1st what? 2nd we will explain.
Book Creator for iPad is the simple way to create your own beautiful iBooks, right on the iPad. Read them in iBooks, send them to your friends, or submit them to the iBookstore. Ideal for children’s picture books, photo books, art books, cook books, manuals, textbooks, and the list goes on.
- Quickly add pictures from the Photos app, or grab them from the web, then move and resize them with your fingers.
- Edit text using the onscreen keyboard, and apply rich formatting to make it look great.
- Choose from all of the iPad’s fonts – over 50 to use.
- Layout your book exactly as you want it with guidelines and snap positioning.
- A quick tap and you’re reading your book in iBooks!
- Send your books to your friends over email, or sync using Dropbox.
- With your books created using the international ePub standard you know they will be readable now and in the future.
- Full support for iBooks’ fixed layout format, including double page images.
The developer and one man team over at Red Jumper Studio is the very talented Dan Amos. Here is what he had to say about the app and it’s future.
Where did the idea for the app come from?
From a trip to the London Book Fair with my wife, a YA novelist. We were struck at still have prohibitively expensive and complex it is to produce a good quality e-book.
How many developers worked on the app?
Will the app be on other platforms?
Perhaps Amazon’s tablet – let’s see when it arrives!
What are the future plans for the app?
I’ve had fantastic feedback from users of the app and I have a long list of requests.
Next up will be adding support for audio and video to your iBooks, along with rounding out the text and image formatting tools.
What sets your app apart from the others out there?
It’s the only tool that enables you to create fixed layout iBooks, and with its simple and intuitive interface anyone can do it!
Company Questions: How did the company come together?
Red Jumper Studio was started after leaving my role at Nokia as a Product Manager for their digital music service and the N9 device. For me this is a great opportunity to work in a fast lean way, involving my customers directly in the product’s future.
How many developers do you have not counting contracted sources?
What can we expect next from your talented team?
Making Book Creator the best app it can be!
Pro: Book Creator for iPad is the simple way to create your own beautiful iBooks, right on the iPad. There could not be any easier way to self publish a book at the moment.
Con: The only con I have is crashes sometimes when you try to open a created book in iBooks. It seems to be an issue with iOS 5. There was no issue with my other iOS 4 iPad 2. I am sure this will be fixed by the release of iOS 5 to the public.
Aye/Nay: This is a Aye. This is a great program. One of those that make you wonder “why did I not think of this?” $7 worth it.
iTunes Link: Book Creator for iPad