If your like me you are keeping far away from iOS 5 if you can help it. Very far away. The reason is that it can not be jailbroken. Hold on, that is not the whole truth. There is a jailbreak for the iOS 5 but it’s tethered.
A tethered jailbreak means you have to plug your iPhone in to a computer every time you reboot your device. If this happens while your on the road, you’re pretty much without a phone for the rest of the trip. If the iPhone is your only means of communication or your iPad is the only means you have to keep the kids from driving you crazy on a trip; then tethered is not for you.
Today you’ll be glad to know that there is now a semi-tethered jailbreak. A semi-tethered jailbreak is not a 100% untethered but not 100% tethered. It’s a happy balance between the two. If your iDevice reboots while out in world it will still be usable, somewhat.
The trade off for this jailbreak is the limited functionality. So here is what you can and can’t do:
- You can use your phone and send text messages
- You can use stock iPhone apps except mail & Safari
- You can use other web browsers
- You could install the Gmail app or use the mobile web version of email.
- You cannot and should not use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
- Keep in mind that this jailbreak won’t work on the iPhone 4S or iPad 2