Epic Games released Fortnite for iOS and it took just three days to generate more than a million dollars in in-app purchases. Insane! That said, the company isn’t taking this revenue stream for granted. It’s only been a couple weeks since they announced their first major update, and now they’re announcing another. What is it exactly? Epic has added a “cinematic” action-replay feature, which now allows you capture your most memorable moments, highlights and cinematics. Epic is eager to see what you create, and you have the opportunity to win some pretty incredible prizes with the Replay system.
But it doesn’t stop there. There is also a portable fort that you can use for protection within seconds. Another big update coming to the game is a short equip time for weapons, with a slow rate of fire. This might sound strange if you don’t play the game. But here’s why Epic is making this change – before this update, some players had learned a trick. Which was, they could switch between weapons and actually increase the rate of fire beyond what you’d normally be able to achieve with a single gun.
So, for instance, if you equipped multiple shotguns you could fire off a shot with one, swap to the next weapon slot and shoot another round off and so on and so forth, all much faster than if you had just kept shooting with a single shotgun. Here are the weapons that will be affected by this update:
- Rocket Launcher
- Hand Cannon
- Tactical Shotgun
- Pump Shotgun
- Heavy Shotgun
- Bolt-Action Sniper Rifle
- Hunting Rifle
The other big weapon change coming in this update impacts Guided Missiles. Epic is going to decrease guided missiles to a maximum turn rate of 75% in order to make the weapon a little bit less powerful. They are also going to reduce the Guided Missile movement speed by 15%.
Other changes coming to the game, include:
- Adjusted item availability in Vending Machines.
- Reduced chance of Chug Jug by 50%.
- Increased chance of Medium Ammo weapons in Rare Vending Machine by 100%.
- Reduced chance of Explosive Ammo weapons in Rare Vending Machine by 50%.
- Reduced chance of Explosive Ammo weapons in Epic Vending Machine by 25%.
- Increased chance of Heavy Ammo weapons in Epic Vending Machine by 25%.
- Reduced chance of Explosive Ammo weapons in Legendary Vending Machine by 25%.
- Increased chance of Heavy Ammo weapons in Legendary Vending Machine by 25%.
- Reduced drop rate of Remote Explosives in floor loot by roughly 33%.
- Updated Medium Ammo inventory icon to make it more easily identifiable.
Whether or not this will impact gameplay remains to be seen. But the big thing we need to take into consideration is the fact that this is another major update. I think this is big news for Epic, and it means that they’re going to have to keep making improvements and updates to the game in order to keep people playing.