Tidal is going to offer a free trial of their platform from December 25th until January 5, 2018. This is in anticipation of the app-rush that tends to follow the holidays. Either because people get new devices for the holidays, or they get music subscription gift cards. During that time period, you can sign up on Tidal.com, using your email address. No credit card is required for this 12-day preview. It also gives access to their Hi-Fi and Premium services. Tidal does offer free 30-day subscriptions as well throughout the year. But the difference is that no credit card is required and no ads will play.
But here’s the incentive. Each day within that time frame, Tidal is releasing exclusive content including new original content series in order to entice you to keep your subscription. In addition, you will get exclusive music videos and documentary premieres as well as ticket giveaways and more. Tony Gervino, VP from Tidal has this to say about the preview:
“Heading into 2018, we’re looking forward to giving Tidal members more access and a high-quality soundtrack to everyday life. We value what music and music culture means to people and trust this preview will give music fans a taste of the elevated music experience that Tidal is offering its customers.”
This is incredible, isn’t it? I mean, 12 days isn’t a lot of time, but you’re getting a really good introduction to the platform. The free trial will include their $19.99/month High Fidelity tier that includes lossless sound quality. Tidal has been in the news recently for its reportedly dire financial state, with the company believed to have enough capital to last only another six months. In the wake of that news, Tidal launched a new app for Apple TV and Android TV devices so users can listen to music and watch videos on a larger screen. With the new free trial, more users will have a chance to check out the service’s features and potentially bump up its “stalled” user growth. Is that why they’re offering this trial? Do they need more money and more customers?
If you are interested in getting the free trial, here is what you can expect:
- Rap Radar: Nipsey Hussle, Monday (12/25) With his “Victory Lap” album slated to drop in February, Nipsey Hussle sits down with Elliott Wilson and Brian “B.Dot” Miller.
- The Spot: Eddie Palmieri (Series Premiere), Tuesday (12/26)
- Snoh Aalegra Tour Documentary, Friday 12/29: The soulful singer’s documentary is exclusively premiering on TIDAL and features behind-the-scenes footage from the Freudian North American tour with Daniel Caesar.
- New York’s Eve Playlists, Saturday (12/30)
- Welcome 2018 Playlists, Monday (1/1): Curated playlists to start the New Year off.
- Song Exploder: QuestLove, Monday (1/1)
- Fresh Cuts (Series Premiere), Tuesday (1/2): A video series of short clips with artists at the barbershop/beauty salon, as they’re interviewed while getting their haircut and discuss their life, career, style, etc.
- The Group Chat Podcast (Series Premiere), Wednesday (1/3)
- Rough Draft (Series Premiere), Thursday (1/4): Each episode of this new video series features an artist talking about the first song or rap they ever wrote (as kids) and then perform it. The first episode features the alternative group Porches.
- Rapsody “Where Flowers Bloom” Documentary, Friday (1/5)