Mac products aren’t generally known for gaming, but some traditional game interfaces now need to be supported on macOS in order to reap the VR/AR benefits to their fullest. This has to do with Apple diving head first into the virtual and augmented reality space. If you want to play games like Eve Valkyrie, which uses a traditional Xbox game controller, we are here to show you how to connect it to your Mac. In the past, this method only applied to the Xbox 360 controller, but now this supports the XBox One controller as well.
How to Download and Install the Drivers
We are assuming that you already own a wired Xbox controller, but if you need to buy one, it’s going to cost about $50. You will need to connect it to your Mac using a microUSB cable. Unfortunately, the microUSB cable isn’t included. But if you buy a third-party wired controller you won’t have to worry about this.
Follow these steps:
- Launch Safari.
- Navigate to https://github.com/360/Controller/360Controller/releases.
- Download the latest release of the 360Controller driver. As of this writing, the latest release is 0.16.5.
- Go to your Downloads folder in Finder.
- Double-click the 360Controllerinstall_*.dmg file.
- Double-click the Install360Controller.pkg that pops up in Finder.
- Click Continue.
- Again, click Continue.
- Select to Agree the license agreement.
- Click Install.
- Agree to allow a restart of the computer by clicking Continue Installation.
- Click Restart.
- You can optionally have the downloaded file Moved to Trash.
- Upon restarting the computer start System Preferences from the dock or the menu.
- Click on Xbox 360 Controllers.
How to Connect Your Xbox 360 Controller
Once you’ve installed the drivers, you’ll now logically see that there are “no devices found”, since we have yet to physically connect the game controller to the Mac.
- Plug in your controller to your Mac. If you have a current model MacBook or MacBook Pro, you’ll need a USB-C to USB-A adapter.
- Click OK when the System Extension Blocked warning message pops up.
- Go into System Preferences via the dock or menu.
- Click Security & Privacy.
- Under the General tab click the Lock at the bottom left.
- Enter your password and click Unlock.
- Click Allow.
Following these steps will give you a way to use your Xbox One or 360 controller on your MacBook or iMac. Now you will be able to play all the games that you want, and not just using a keyboard.